How to help a Friend in Grief?
How to help a friend in grief to make him or she feel better?
Learn how to help a Friend or Relative in Grief with 6 useful tips! If you have a friend or relative who is grieving, it can be hard to know how to console him or her. If it seems that nothing you can do or say to help, don’t give up. You can’t take the pain away, but your presence is more important than it seems. Accept that you can’t fix the situation or make your friend or relative feel better. Instead, just be present at the funeral ceremony and offer hope and a positive outlook toward the future. Accept that the person’s grieving will be a gradual process.
What can you do?
It is sometimes difficult to know what to say to a bereaved person. But if you care enough, here is what you need to know about how to help a friend or relative in grief? So, If you find yourself tongue-tied or uncertain of what to do in the face of someone’s loss, here are some steps you might try.
Tips on making them feel better:
- Don’t be afraid to mention the name of the deceased, unless it is prohibited by religion reasons.
- Offer hopes – Give assurance that time will make it easier to move on and that’s a certainty.
- Make phone calls. Call to express your sympathy. But do refrain from saying things like “Oh it’s God will” or “It is for the best”. Instead say something like, “Memories will always stay fond in your heart”.
- Write a note. If you had a relationship with the deceased, try to include a warm, caring, or a funny anecdote that shows how important to you he or she was. If you didn’t know the deceased, offer your sympathy, and assure the bereaved that he or she is in your thoughts or prayers.
- Help out. Be specific when offering help. Volunteer to shop or do laundry, bring dinner, pass on information about funeral arrangements, or answer the phone. Pitch in to clean up the kitchen. Do anything you are comfortable with helping out.
- Hug it out! Sometimes it is a long, silent, and big hug is what is needed.
Share it! 😀
If you think this blog article will be informative for anyone, please share it on your Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and other social media.